MyFamily

MyFamily
the3ofus

Thursday 29 May 2014

7: Pregnancy Journey GDM

          On my 20th week of pregnancy, I needed to check my sugar content in blood. The procedure is named as MOGTT (Modified Oral Glucose Tolerance Test). So, what should I do? Firstly, of course to control sugar intake (to get the good result) and also, I need to fast start from 12 midnight before the procedure.
          The appointment was at 8am at Hospital Kota Kinabatangan. We arrived there around 8.40am. Nurse pricked my finger to get small blood sample before I required to drink a glass of 75ml of glucose (yucks!) until finished. 2 hrs later, I came back to the hospital to get my blood tested again (still fasting). Oh yes! Sugar readings were normal. Then we drove to KKIA to meet a doctor. The doctor informed that my sugar content was normal, baby inside also normal & active, his growth was ok. That's all for the day.
          On the 28th week of pregnancy, I needed to do the second MOGTT. Same procedure as before, went to hospital, drank glucose (still yucks!) and yada yada yada... (same as the above paragraph). However, yes, there was "however". Nurse at KKIA told me that my result showed high sugar content (the reading was 7.2mmol/L). She said I had higher chances to get GDM (gestational diabetes mellitus), or easier word to understand is diabetes during pregnancy.
          So, nurse advised me to come again after a week to re-check; it is called BSP (blood sugar profile). BSP means to check sugar (prick my finger again) 3 times; 1st at 8am, then 11.30am & last at 4pm. 
          On the next week, I did BSP & the results were normal. After the last blood test, I met the doctor. Surprisingly, he said my 2nd MOGTT was actually NORMAL. As he explained the reading shouldn't exceed 7.8 (remember mine was 7.2). So meaning here, the nurse gave me wrong info & I actually no need to do BSP. Hmm... I had wasted my whole day for the BSP. :-(. 
          The doctor scanned baby & he showed me baby doing ok inside. His weight has increased to 1.3kg. 
          Baby.. Mommy really can't wait to welcome u into our world.
glucose

mommy on 30th week of pregnancy

No comments:

Post a Comment